The Restigouche Golf and Country Club is a non-profit organization run by a board of directors which has been serving the Restigouche and the surrounding area’s population since 1923. Member and client satisfaction is the focus of our decisions so that we may continue to perpetuate and promote golf in the area. Our guiding principles are Passion, Pride, Excellence, Transparency, Integrity, Accessibility, Respect, and Innovation.
To be known as the premier destination to play golf in the Restigouche area and northern New Brunswick by offering high- quality services, installations, course, and environment.
In the year of 1921/22 the property which is now the Restigouche Country Club was leased from Mrs. Ann Crowley and family by a group of local businessmen. Thus began what is now the Restigouche Country Club.
The original club house was built in April of 1923 at a cost of two thousand six hundred eighty-eight dollars and fifty cents ($2,688.50). The old farm house located on the property served as a Pro-Shop and was situated 25 – 30 feet from the present Club House. The old barn that was also located on the property was used for course machinery.
July 6th 1923
The Club was incorporated on July 6th 1923.The three businessmen who made the application were: Mr.’s M. Mowat, H. A. Carr, and W. F. Napiers. The Capital Stock invested was Nine thousand nine hundred dollars ($9,900.00) divided into three hundred ninety-six (396) shares of twenty-five dollars ($25.00) each. Mr. Lou Brown, a Pro from England, measured the course and designed the layout of a Nine (9) Hole Golf Course.
Howard Taylor, a gentleman from England, was hired as the first Pro in 1924. He remained Pro until 1949 (25 years). Mr. Taylor returned to England for a period of time during WW II. Following the war he returned and resumed his duties as Golf Pro at Restigouche.
In April of 1924 a meeting was held to form a Ladies’ Division. Elected as the first Ladies’ President was Mrs. W. S. Montgomery. The first Afternoon Tea at the Club House was held on Saturday afternoon, June 14, 1924. The first Ladies’ Championship Cup was donated by Mrs. W. S. Montgomery and was won by Mrs. W. R. Fitzmaurice. It was only in 1974 that it was suggested that a representative of the Ladies’ Club should attend the meetings of the Restigouche Country Club.
June 7th, 1924
June 7th, 1924
The shares owned by the Crowley family were purchased for the Club by H.A. Carr, Secretary Treasurer at the time. The exact date or year is not known, but is believed to be in 1940 or ’41.
In 1979 a Canada Works Project was accepted to commence the expansion of the Restigouche Country Club to an 18 Hole Golf Course. The amount received was one hundred eighty-one thousand, one hundred twenty-eight dollars ($181,128.00). Many more projects were received since then to make our Club what it is today.
June 1, 2010
In 2009 the old clubhouse was torn down and a new one was erected on the current location, safeguarding the panoramic view members and guest look forward to. The opening date of the new clubhouse is June 1, 2010.